The kitchen is overflowing.
I thought I was doing good in the kitchen. Then I realized that the food always overflows - granted, it overflows to a designated pantry, but sometimes (ok, frequently) this means that 90% of the food is in the pantry, and the cabinets have dishes and cookware. That sounds a bit overflowing to me. And it's true even in the current kitchen, which is larger than I've had for years.
I want to start by looking at what I have vs. what I need, and what the 'immunities' are. Immunities, for me, are things you will pry from my cold dead hands because it would reduce me to tears for them to leave. Not worth the fight with myself, and they do get used.
- Need: Settings for 3, plates/bowls
- Have: Settings for 6, plates (10" & 3") and bowls. 3 small glass bowls, 12-ish extra-small glass bowls. 3 black rice bowls. Plus immunities.
- Have: 4 1/2-cup & 2 1-cup baking ramekins. Gravy dish, butter keeper,
- Have: Plasticware: 1 black flat dish with lid, 1 glass flat dish with lid, 1 plastic sandwich holder, 1 stack of red-lid Glad tupperware (TW), 1 stack 4oz TW, 1 set cream-lid sturdy TW, sm red Pyrex w/lid,
- Immunity: Settings for 3, fish and seashell dishes. 10 total. In use but not the primary set. Plus 3 shallow, rimmed oval dishes that are really useful.
- Need: 2 coffee mugs, 2 general mugs
- Have: 3 dedicated coffee mugs, 1 dedicated tea mug with lid, at least 4 general-use mugs
- Immunity: the 3 dedicated coffee mugs
- Have: 2 serving plates: 1 blue, 1 white. 2 blue serving bowls. Woven bowl for breads.
- Need: stockpot, soup pot, steamer...TBD
- Have: cast-iron skillets: 12", 6", 3". Stockpot, soup pot, 3pc saucepan set, steamer, double-boiler.
- Have: 2 slow-cookers - 5qt & 1.5 qt. Will keep both till they die and assess replacement at that point.
- Have: Large and small strainers
- Have: Blender. Needs replacing - I don't use it often but there is no substitute. And it just helped me simplify putting up tomatoes, so it can stay =)
- Have: Food grinder thingy. Gets used to store the garden harvest.
- Have: 3 different sizes of mortar & pestle. I should be able to go back to just one.
- Need: 1 metal 4x9" pan, 1 pizza baking sheet, muffin pans, TBD
- Have: 2 metal, 1 silicone muffin pans. The silicone is for freezing food in; muffin recipes always seem to bake by the dozen so I have enough for that.
- Have: 2 loaf pans, 2 8" cake pans, 3 cookie sheets in different sizes, 1 glass 13x9" pan, 1 glass and 1 metal 4x9" pan, 1 pizza baking sheet, 8" square glass pan, 2 qt & 1.5qt Corningware dishes with glass lids, blue 60s Pyrex, large black snowflake 50s Pyrex.
- 1 blue tulip goblet
- 1 dedicated tea mug with lid
- 1 blue general purpose mug
- 1 blue oversized bowl
- stack of 3" blue/cream plates
Links I found useful:
How to Downsize Your Kitchen
how to setup a minimalist kitchen: part 1 – things to avoid and part 2 the essentials & the nice-to-haves